Title: Pre-Service Access Coordinator
Shift: Full-Time, Days
This position will be located in the Pre-Registration department at The Christ Hospital Health Network (TCHHN), 2139 Auburn Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219.
Job Overview: The Christ Hospital Health Network Pre-Services Coordinator provides the highest level of customer service to our patients. This individual understands that this patient interaction often determines the tone for the patients’ healthcare experience. This position has contact with the patient to schedule their ordered services. This includes coordinating pre-service appointments necessary in advance of the ordered service. Additionally, demographic information is obtained from the patient and entered into the computer system that is necessary to support the care of the patient, billing process, and minimizing the amount of information that must be collected when the patient presents for service. Lastly, this position collects payment from the patient as determined by the estimate and arranges payment plans as necessary based on the patient’s current financial situation. This position must also have expert knowledge of insurance plans, insurance regulations, and insurance benefit and coverages as they relate to the service rendered, so that the patients cost for the service can be explained in a manner that the patient understands and agrees to. These conversations are detailed and sensitive conversations so this individual must have the confidence yet compassion to support these conversations. This position is the single source of contact for our patients scheduling, pre-registration, and healthcare cost needs.
The Pre-Service Access Coordinator may perform the following duties:
- Call, schedule, pre-register, explain estimates, and collect on patient accounts via appointment scheduling work queues as well as incoming line. Work collaboratively in teams to efficiently handle call volume and manage call queues.
- Confirms surgery appointment with patient once authorization/certification and estimate is complete.
- Create Medical Record numbers and enter registration information following established guidelines.
- Collect demographic and billing information in a courteous and professional manner.
- Identify, document and provide feedback to management on issues that impact departmental workflow.
- Participate in activities related to organizational, regulatory, and governmental compliance.
- Document medical history as obtained from scheduling to complete patient questionnaires.
- Answer customer's questions regarding preparations for appointments, directions to clinics, and general hospital questions.
- Ensure accuracy, appropriate documentation, issues and reschedules following scripts as written.
- Quality Improvement by remaining current on scheduling center protocols including daily updates.
- Train and serve as a coach to new staff, as assigned.
- ELECTRONIC ORDERS WORK QUEUE
- Interpret orders for testing and compliance with divisional guidelines.
- Affirms test name, diagnosis, and history and physician signature.
- Schedule and register patient.
- Initiate call to physician office to request an order, if applicable.
- Accurately enter demographics.
- Ability to create a new medical record number, mark orders as scheduled, including recalls.
- INSURANCE KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledgeable of price estimation requirements: coverage, allowable charges, and patient benefits in order to provide patient estimates at the time of service. This includes deductible, coinsurance, copay, and out-of-pocket maximum information.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of insurance plans and account statuses.
- Ensure that the patient's coverage reflects the correct filing order.
- Create Guarantor accounts and ensure the appropriate account is selected for the patient's visit.
- CASH HANDLING
- Accurately collect and post according to specified protocols, all require and mandatory co-payments and patient liabilities.
- Provide families with hospital Financial Assistance Programs, self-pay discount information, and applications for assistance.
- If financial necessity dictates, place patients on a payment plan.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience: One to three years’ experience in registration and scheduling required. One to three years of customer service experience required.
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- COMPUTER PROFICIENCY
- Computer literacy sufficient to perform data entry at 35 words per minute. Knowledge of basic computer applications such as Microsoft Office. Familiarity with accessing web applications over the Internet. Epic experience preferred.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with customers who are often adversarial.
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL
- Ability to track details meticulously, without becoming overwhelmed by them; being exacting, precise, and accurate; spotting minor imperfections or errors and taking action to correct them.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, teamwork skills and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- INDEPENDENCE AND TEAMWORK
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- CRITICAL THINKING
- Capable of using inductive and deductive reasoning to formulate general rules or principles and applying them to work; identifying flaws in logical reasoning; understanding complex conceptual relationships; accurately detecting underlying themes or patterns in data.
- PROBLEM SOLVING
- Ability to independently work through details of a problem to reach a positive solution. Skilled at making one phone call after another to reach desired productivity.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced call center work environment with multiple responsibilities.
- DIVERSITY APPRECIATION
- Understanding and showing respect and appreciation for the uniqueness of all individuals; leveraging differences in others' perspectives and ideas; appreciating cultural differences and adjusting one's approach to successfully integrate with others who are different from oneself.
- MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
There are many ways to define excellence. For us at The Christ Hospital, it’s all about our patients...And making healthcare what they want it to be. Accessible. Personal. Affordable.
Our commitment to exceptional outcomes, affordable care and the finest patient experiences is recognized yearly with numerous awards from leading healthcare organizations and publications. At the top of our list of honors are the 17 consecutive years that we’ve been named to U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Hospitals and being named the Most Preferred Hospital by the Greater Cincinnati community for 21 consecutive years (National Research Corporation).
What does this mean for you?
GROWTH- opportunities to learn, develop, and impact.
VALUE - a robust employee package that provides you the ability to maintain a healthy work-life balance, competitive compensation, flexible and meaningful benefits, development opportunities so you can be your best self, and a culture of compassion.
PRIDE- from all that we have accomplished in our past, and all that we’re positioned for in the future.
CHALLENGE- we are in one of the most competitive markets in the nation, yet continue to rise to the top through our incredible employees and transformational results. We seek individuals motivated by what it takes to be a part of a winning team.
Named #24 on Forbes 500 America’s Best Employers for 2017, we are transforming care…inspired by you.