Now Enrolling for our October 5 Evening Academy!
As of July 6, 2020 our campuses will return to regular office hours Monday-Friday to serve you!
For the safety of all, you will be required to wear a mask upon entering our campus buildings. We ask that you adhere to the 6 foot social distancing recommendations and avoid visiting if you don’t feel well. Thank you for your cooperation as we navigate these guidelines.
Butler Tech’s Basic Police Academy will prepare you for an exciting career in law enforcement. Approved by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission, our police academy is one of the top programs in the state.
Butler Tech’s curriculum is scenario-based and prepares cadets to be street ready upon graduation.
Benefits of Butler Tech’s Basic Police Academy
- State-of-the-art facility with indoor 20 lane firing range and on-site fitness center
- OPOTC certified instructors who are subject matters experts
- Use of academy uniforms, firearms, holster, magazine pouch, handcuffs, case expandable batons, lead free ammunition, and Ohio Revised Code Law Books
- Use of computerized driving & firearm training simulators
- Only Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy certified driving pad in the Tristate area
- Available college credit
Requirements for Enrollment
*You must be 20 1/2 years old at the start of the Academy
*You must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
*You must possess a valid driver’s license
*You must pass the physical fitness assessment of situps, pushups and 1.5 mile run based on the Ohio Police Academy Fitness Standards
* You must be free of convictions (juvenile or adult) for any felony, serious misdemeanors, crimes of violence, domestic violence, or any offense that would disqualify you from possessing a firearm.
Full Time | 770 Hours
PLEASE NOTE: Police academy enrollment starts no more than 150 days prior to the start date
of an academy. Ohio Attorney General forms have to be completed in as few as 60 days prior
to the start date. The Ohio Attorney General updates the curriculum and forms 1-2 times per
year. Until they make the paperwork available, Butler Tech cannot provide documents to
Tuition $6,275 | Books/Supplies $990
Financial aid and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
CLICK HERE to show interest in the Academy.
Attending an enrollment meeting with the Commander of the academy you’re interested in, passing the physical fitness assessment, returning completed OPOTA paperwork to the Commander and having your application approved by OPOTA are the first steps to enrolling in this program. Please provide accurate contact information, so we can best follow-up with you and help you on your way to new career opportunities.
- Based on the Academy you indicate you’re interested in on the Click Here to Get Started Form above, you will be connected with the Commander to receive required OPOTA (Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy) paperwork (background check, drug screen, medical exam, consent to release information) and to schedule your physical fitness assessment.
- Work on your physical fitness assessment requirements. Ohio Police Academy Fitness Standards
- Complete the FBI & BCI&I National Webcheck at the Butler County Sheriff’s office.
- Complete your mandatory drug screen at Fastest Labs.
- Complete your medical exam
- Provide the Commander of the Academy you want to enroll in, the completed paperwork required for OPOTA approval. The Commander must have at least 10 candidate approvals 21 days prior to an Academy start for it to run on time.
Enrollment steps required in addition to OPOTA approval:
- Use the WorkKeys Practice Tests
- Schedule your WorkKeys Assessment
- Fill out a FAFSA form . Our school code is 015492.
- Click Here for more information if you are a veteran and want to use your benefits
- Email our Financial Aid Coordinator Denny Ewen firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your financial paperwork.
- Provide your high school diploma and/or GED, your completed green enrollment form and $200 deposit that goes towards your tuition to Public Safety Secretary Lisa Carter. email@example.com
Industry Recognized Credentials
Our cadets will be street ready in:
- First aid/CPR/AED
- Alcohol detection
- Apprehension, and prosecution
- Speed measuring devices
- Emergency vehicle operations (CEVO)
- OPOTC firearms qualification
- Chemical agents/impact weapons
- CCW Certificate of Competency
To be eligible for OPOTC certification as a peace officer, cadets will need to successfully complete certain skill-based student performance objectives (SPO’s), meet higher physical fitness assessment standards, and pass a written state certification exam (SCE) showing knowledge of cognitive-based SPO’s.
2018 Median Pay (Bureau of Labor Statistics) : $63,380 per year | $30.47 per hour