The Butler Tech Veterinary Science program is a great way to “jump start” your career in the veterinary field. This program is for juniors and seniors in high school and is designed to give insight into the veterinary field and a head start into a competitive college program. You will learn about both small and large animals and receive a well-rounded education. The goal is to help you make a decision on the career path that is right for you.
The Butler Tech Veterinary Science program emphasizes hands-on learning, and students will work with the latest equipment and gain practical experience in the lab setting. Students will complete coursework through a variety of modules that mirror those they will study in college. They include: Safety/Animal Restraint and Handling; Intro to Animal Science; Careers in Animal Science; Medical Terminology; External Anatomy; Animal Behavior, Welfare and Husbandry; Preventive Animal Health; Pharmacology and Posology; Principles of Surgery; Hospital Procedures; Office Management; Preventive Animal Health; Disease and Parasites; and First Aid and CPR.
Students will also learn laboratory techniques in: Chemical Analysis of Blood; Microbiology; and Common Diseases and Disorders. A focus on professional career opportunities through our Senior Internship Program and Personal & Leadership Development provides a culminating experience for our students during their senior year.
Upon completion of the program, most of our students go on to attend two- and four-year colleges, with the goal of becoming a Veterinary Technician or a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
Once you have completed this two-year program you will want to continue your education. Just a few of the many options are:
- UC Blue Ash College – 2-year Associate’s Degree to be a Veterinary Technician
- Columbus State Community College – 2 Year Associate’s Degree to be a Veterinary Technician
- Bradford Institute, Columbus – Veterinary Technician Degree
- Ohio State – ATI, Wooster, Ohio – 2-year Associate’s Degree in Horse Science, Dairy Science, Livestock Science
- The University of Findlay – 4-year Bachelor’s Degree in Pre Vet then on to OSU to complete your Veterinary Degree
- The Ohio State University – 8-year Doctoral Degree in Veterinary Medicine
Butler Tech Veterinary Science is a full time program for high school juniors and seniors. Students will apply their sophomore year.
- Animal Behaviorist
- Animal Control Officer
- Dog Food Representative & Sales
- Feed Store Owner
- Kennel Worker
- Lab Animal Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Pet Boarding Owner
- Pet Store Owner
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Small or Large Animal Veterinarian
- Small or Large Animal Veterinary Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Wildlife Rehabilitation