The Butler Tech Veterinary Science program is a great way to “jump-start” your career in the veterinary field. This program is for juniors and seniors in high school and is designed to give insight into the veterinary field and a head start into a competitive college program. You will learn about both small and large animals and receive a well-rounded education. The goal is to help you make a decision on the career path that is right for you.
The Butler Tech Veterinary Science program emphasizes hands-on learning, and students will work with the latest equipment and gain practical experience in the lab setting. Students will complete coursework through a variety of modules that mirror those they will study in college. They include: Safety/Animal Restraint and Handling; Intro to Animal Science; Careers in Animal Science; Medical Terminology; External Anatomy; Animal Behavior, Welfare, and Husbandry; Preventive Animal Health; Pharmacology and Posology; Principles of Surgery; Hospital Procedures; Office Management; Preventive Animal Health; Disease and Parasites; and First Aid and CPR.
Students will also learn laboratory techniques in: Chemical Analysis of Blood; Microbiology; and Common Diseases and Disorders. A focus on professional career opportunities through our Senior Internship Program and Personal & Leadership Development provides a culminating experience for our students during their senior year.
Upon completion of the program, most of our students go on to attend two- and four-year colleges, with the goal of becoming a Veterinary Technician or a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
Once you have completed this two-year program you will want to continue your education. Just a few of the many options are:
- UC Blue Ash College – 2-year Associate’s Degree to be a Veterinary Technician
- Columbus State Community College – 2 Year Associate’s Degree to be a Veterinary Technician
- Bradford Institute, Columbus – Veterinary Technician Degree
- Ohio State – ATI, Wooster, Ohio – 2-year Associate’s Degree in Horse Science, Dairy Science, Livestock Science
- The University of Findlay – 4-year Bachelor’s Degree in Pre Vet then on to OSU to complete your Veterinary Degree
- The Ohio State University – 8-year Doctoral Degree in Veterinary Medicine
Butler Tech Veterinary Science is a full time program for high school juniors and seniors. Students will apply their sophomore year.
- Animal Behaviorist
- Animal Control Officer
- Dog Food Representative & Sales
- Feed Store Owner
- Kennel Worker
- Lab Animal Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Pet Boarding Owner
- Pet Store Owner
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Small or Large Animal Veterinarian
- Small or Large Animal Veterinary Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
- Wildlife Rehabilitation